#Islam_Chat @ IrCQnet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Did The Islamic Greeting Start?

Go down

How Did The Islamic Greeting Start? Empty How Did The Islamic Greeting Start?

Post by ala' Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:58 am

As-Salam 3alaykom wa ra7mat ALLAH wa barakatuh
Bismillah-ir-Ra7man-ir-Ra7eem

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

The first time the greeting with 'As-Salaam' was legislated was after Prophet Aadam (3alayhi as-salat wa as-salam) was created. Abu Hurayrah (radhia ALLAH anh) narrated that the Prophet (salla ALLAH 3alayhi wa salam) said: "Allaah created Aadam and his length was sixty cubits then Allaah said to Aadam "Go and greet those angels with 'As-Salaam' and listen how they would greet you, and that will be your greeting and the greeting of your progeny". Aadam greeted the angels saying: "As-Salaamu 'Alaykum", then the angels replied to him: "Wa 'alaykum assalaam wa rahmatullaah"; "so the angels added to the greeting 'wa rahmatullaah'; every person who will enter paradise, will be in the image of Aadam but his progeny decreased in height until they reached the height that we have today." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim] Imaam An-Nawawi said: 'This is the first time the greeting with 'As-Salaam' was legislated.'

As regards the greeting after the Prophet (salla ALLAH 3alayhi wa salam) was sent as a Messenger, was when Abu Thar (radhia ALLAH 3anh) became a Muslim. Abu Thar said: "I was the first one to greet the Prophet (salla ALLAH 3alayhi wa salam) with the Islamic greetings as I said to him "As-Salaamu 'Alayka, O Prophet of Allaah! Thereupon the Prophet (salla ALLAH 3alayhi wa salam) replied: "Wa 'alayka assalaam wa rahmatullaah." [Muslim] It might be understood that this was the first greeting with the wording of 'As-Salaam' after the revelation came down to the Prophet (salla ALLAH 3alayhi wa salam).

Allaah knows best.
source: http://english.islamweb.net/ver2/Fatwa/ShowFatwa.php?lang=E&Id=89959&Option=FatwaId

fee aman ALLAH
ala'
ala'
New User

Female Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down